Intro to Luther's Small Catechism
Introduction to Luther’s Small Catechism
Sing LSB Hymn 582
· Christianity is the life and salvation given through Jesus. Our faith is in Jesus and what He did for us.
· We come to know Jesus from the Bible. The Old Testament points to the coming Savior. The New Testament points to Jesus the Savior who has come.
· The Bible is God’s Word. The Holy Spirit inspired the writers to write what they did. It is not their word, but God’s Word.
· The two main teachings of the Bible are Law and Gospel.
· The Law teaches what God expects of us (which we cannot keep).
· The Gospel is the Good News of God’s saving grace to us in Jesus Christ.
· If you want to understand the Bible, you must understand Jesus. He is the key to understanding God’s Word.
· We use our human reason to understand what God says. In this way our reason is the servant of Scripture.
· Some add to or subtract from God’s Word. This is an attempt to have our reason be the master of Scripture. This is to be totally rejected.