Epiphany-January 6, 2013
Greek for “appearance, manifestation”
Read the following;
Isaiah 60:1-3; Matthew 2:1-12; John 1:4-5; John 8:12; Ephesians 2:11-22
Notes on Matthew 2:1-12
* Mentioned in Daniel 2
* Babylonian advisors
* Possibly astrologers
* Don’t know much
* Unlikely seekers of the King of the Jews
* Possible astrological sign
* Possible comet
* Possibly something special
* Seen by the Magi, not by Herod
* Moved to where the child was
Sign of purity, royalty, and wealth
Read 1 Kings 6:17-30; Malachi 3:1-4; 1 Peter 1:3-9
Read Exodus 37:25-29; Psalm 141:1-2; Luke 1:5-23; Revelation 5:1-8
Read John 19:38-42
1. Why is Isaiah 60:1-3 the OT Lesson for Epiphany?
2. What is the significance of the star?
3. What do we know about the Magi, the gifts, and what is significant about them?
4. In what sense did they find more than they were looking for?
5. How is the Church called to mission by the Epiphany message?