Apostles Creed Article 1- Lesson 2
The Apostle’s Creed
The First Article-Lesson 2
I Believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.
What does this mean?
I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them.
He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life.
He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from all evil.
All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him.
This is most certainly true.
God as Father
God as Creator
“Here attention must also be called to this, that the words “Let there be light” are the words of God, not of Moses; this means that they are realities. For God calls into existence the things which do not exist (Rom. 4:17). He does not speak grammatical words; He speaks true and existent realities. Accordingly, that which among us has the sound of a word is a reality with God. Thus sun, moon, heaven, earth, Peter, Paul, I, you, etc.—we are all words of God, in fact only one single syllable or letter by comparison with the entire creation. We, too, speak, but only according to the rules of language; that is, we assign names to objects which have already been created. But the divine rule of language is different, namely: when He says: “Sun, shine,” the sun is there at once and shines. Thus the words of God are realities, not bare words.” Martin Luther, Luther’s Works Vol. 1 pp. 21-22
· We confess that the 1st Person of the Trinity is the Father.
· He is Father and defines what a father is.
· We are His children by creation and by His adopting us through the blood of Jesus.
· We reject any attempt to make the 1st Person of the Trinity gender neutral or female.
· We confess that God created all things in six days out of nothing. He spoke all things into existence by His Word.
· We confess that God created invisible beings known as angels. All were good. Satan and his demons rebelled. The other angels serve God and help us.
1. What does it mean that God is our Father?
2. What comfort do we receive from God speaking things into being?
3. What goes on between good and evil angels and what does it mean to us?
Gracious Father, we thank You for Your creation, and that we are Your children. Bless us and keep in Your loving care. Amen.