Imitate God Lesson 1A
Imitate God-Lessons on Parenting
Prodigal Son/ Gracious father
Read Luke 15:11-32
What is this text about?
· It is about the love God has for the lost and His action in coming to meet the lost (the ministry of Jesus)
· It is about the love God has for the self-righteous in calling them to repent and love others.
Differences in children
· This text points out that children of the same household often are very different.
· The differences in children require different approaches to raising them.
The prodigal and the father’s response
· The prodigal son comes in sorrow for his sin, expecting to be treated as a servant instead of a son.
· The father runs to meet him, restores him, and celebrates his return.
· Where there is repentance/sorrow parents are called to forgive and restore.
The “faithful” son and the father’s response
· The second son feels he deserves more because he has been “good.”
· The father reminds him of how graciously he has been treated and asks that he be gracious in return.
· Parents must see self-righteousness as a problem and teach children graciousness and mercy.
What do you do about kids who disregard and disrespect you when they are young?
What do you do about self-righteous children when they are young?
What do you do about kids who abandon you or your values as adults?
What do you do about self-righteous kids as adults?
How do you deal with differences in children?