Ephesians Chapter 6 Lesson 2
evdunamousqe (V10) – “strengthen (someone)”. This is in the Middle voice, denoting something for yourself. It is also an imperative. Note the means that follows, “in the Lord and in His strength.”
meqodeias (V11) – “tricky methods, schemes.” In this case these are of the devil. “Deep guile and great might are his dread arms in fight.”
kosmokratoras (V12) – “world rulers, (lit. cosmic tyrants)”. This is Satan and all his forces, human and otherwise.
· We are at war with Satan and his forces. The challenge is to recognize his assaults when we see them.
· The full armor of God begins with what we wear as normal clothing. The truth is fastened around our waist, holding all things together. We are covered by the righteousness of Jesus. Our feet are shod with the preparation of the Gospel of peace.
· The special portions of the armor are the shield of faith and the helmet of salvation for defense, then the sword of the Spirit for offense.
· Spiritual warfare is described in countless places in Scripture. Of special note is the spiritual assault by Satan in Genesis 3, followed by God’s solution in 3:15. We see it’s fullness in Matthew 4:1-11; 27:32-50.
· Our being clothed in the righteousness of Jesus is found in 5:25-27, 2 Corinthians 5:17-21, and so many other places.
· Having our feet shod with the preparation of the Gospel of peace takes us to Isaiah 52:7-10.
· For the sword see Hebrews 4:11-16 and Revelation 1:12-16.
1. Who is the enemy and what tactics are used against us?
2. Why are truth, righteousness and preparation for the Gospel our regular attire?
3. How is faith a shield and salvation a helmet?
4. How is God’s Word our sword of the Spirit?
5. What is the role of prayer in spiritual warfare?