Imitate God Lesson 2B
Lessons on Parenting-Lesson 2B
Prophets: Repent, Here is the Savior
See Matthew 3
What is this text about?
· John the Baptist, as the last of the Old Testament prophets, proclaims the Law against sin, and the Gospel to convicted sinners.
· Jesus begins His earthly ministry that will end with his death and resurrection.
Right use of the Law (most often 2nd use)
· The Law is to be applied to sin, and a lack of repentance to get people to repent.
· The Law must not be applied to repentance, or it will cause despair.
Right use of the Gospel
· The Gospel is to be applied to those who are sorry for their sins.
· The Gospel must not be applied to a lack of repentance, since that would assume everything is alright when it is not.
When should you (and should you not) apply the Law to your children? Why?
When should you (and should you not) apply the Gospel to your children? Why?
What happens when they don’t react as they should to either application?
What is the goal of this aspect of parenting?