The Gospel and the Christian Family Lesson 9
The Gospel and the Christian Family
*Adam and Eve are given dominion over *God made, bought, and established us.
the earth (Genesis 1:29) (Deuteronomy 32:6)
*Noah and his sons are given dominion *God makes the sun rise and the rain fall including eating animals. (Genesis 9:1-3) on the just and the unjust. (Matt. 5:45) *Joseph is made father of Egypt to *God gives greater gifts than earthly provide during the famine. (Genesis 45:8) fathers.(Matthew 7:11)
*Earthly fathers give good gifts to their *God gives every good a perfect gift. children. (Matthew 7:11) (James 1:17)
*Corrects in love. (Proverbs 3:12) *Corrects in love. (Proverbs 3:12) *Teaches wisdom through sound doctrine. *Chastens with the rod and blows (Proverbs 4:1ff) of men. (2 Samuel 7:14)
*Makes truth known to his children. *Reveals Himself to us by sending (Isaiah 38:9) Jesus to save us. (John 1:18)
*Paul describes himself as the father of *Saves, teaches, and explains doctrine the Corinthians by the preaching of the through Jesus. (John 5:16-47)
Gospel. (1 Corinthians 4:15)
*Raise children in the fear and *Has begotten us again to a living hope. admonition of God. (Ephesians 6:2) (1 Peter 1:3)
*Exhort, charge, comfort.
(1 Thessalonians 2:11)
*4th Commandment (Exodus 20:12) *Be perfect as He is perfect. (Matt. 5:48) *Certain kinds of disrespect were *Don’t do things to glorify yourself, but punished by death. (Exodus 21:15-17; Him. (Matthew 6:1-4)
*Revere parents; God is Lord. *He seeks to be worshiped in spirit and (Leviticus 19:3) truth. (John 4:23)
*Hear the father’s instruction. (Proverbs *If we respect earthly fathers, how much 1:8; 6:20; 13:1) more our heavenly Father. (Heb. 12:9) *Service to the church does not nullify *Don’t love the world, but Him.
the 4th Commandment. (Matthew 15:1-9) (1 John 2:15)
1. How are the responsibilities of fathers a reflection of God and what does it mean in our practice?
2. How does God’s example of fatherhood apply to us in motivation and practice?
3. In what way is our physical providing a confession of our faith, and who is affected by it?
4. How are fathers to meet the spiritual needs of their children?
5. What does the fatherhood of God teach about why fathers meet spiritual needs?
6. What are the consequences of neglecting these things?
7. How does our understanding and practice of fatherhood affect our understanding of God's self revelation?
8. What is the proper response of children to Christian fatherhood and how is this response arrived at?
9. What steps can we encourage toward better fatherhood?